Cymdeithas Hanes Mechell



Cegin Filwr

Anglesey Trading Company


Brynddu and  the


The Church

John Elias

Ffair Mechell

Maes Mawr



The Gallery

Sir Owen Thomas

The Meddanen

and Wygyr

William Jones,


Fortunatus Wright,


Jones the  Crown

Llanfechell Memorial

Llanfechell Chapels

Crop Marks at Carrog

Place Names

Robert Williams, Deacon

The Post Office

Gweirydd ap Rhys

The Demography of Llanfechell 1851 & 1901

Llanfechell Cemetery

William Bulkeley and the poor of Llanfechell

Maureen’s Family Tree

Llanfechell in the early 19th Century


The Archives, Llangefni

Back to Place Names

References to documents at the Archives:

                   1889Map               Siop Jerwsalem (Hafod Oleu now)

                  Maen Arthur ( 498) and Cae Maen Arthur ( 496) behind Bwchanan

Map 1900              Glan Llyn        Tŷ Main         Efail Newydd         Tŷ Main Uchaf           Bryn Gors

Map 1924       Gorsedd Goch (where Creigiau Bach is now)

                     Twll Clawdd (1327) near Pen yr Argae

There used to be quarries at Engan Las and on land belonging to Glynbwch


Tithe Map 1841

Gegin Filwrn:

Landowner         Edward Richards

Tenant               John Parry

Measure             22a. 2r. 35p.

                         3a. 1r.   7p

Sarn Crwban:

Farmer              Hugh Roberts

Measure             24a . 2r. 30p

Rent                   £3 1s 0d

Bodlwyfan ( Bodwydden):  

Landowner          Stad y Brynddu

Tenant                Robert Bretherton

Measure              29a. 1r. 38p

Rent                    £4 3s 2d

Moel Bach ( Foel Bach):

Farmer               Thomas Roberts

Measure              36a. 3r. 1p.

Rent                    £5 8s 3d

Maes Mawr:

Farmer                Francis Parry

Measure               56a. 0r. 7p.

Rent                    £9 5s 6d

Bryn Clyni:

Farmer               Thomas Royston (Part)

Measure               7a. 3r. 0p.

Rent                    £1 2s 1d

Farmer                John Owen ( Part)

Measure                11a. 3r. 26p

Rent                    £1 1s 5d


Meadow View

When we visited Brynddu to look at the Estate maps, Professor Robin Grove White noted Meadow View did not exist in 1875


Back to top of page

Click on maps to see larger versions