Cymdeithas Hanes Mechell



Cegin Filwr

Anglesey Trading Company


Brynddu and  the


The Church

John Elias

Ffair Mechell

Maes Mawr



The Gallery

Sir Owen Thomas

The Meddanen

and Wygyr

William Jones,


Fortunatus Wright,


Jones the  Crown

Llanfechell Memorial

Llanfechell Chapels

Crop Marks at Carrog

Place Names

Robert Williams, Deacon

The Post Office

Gweirydd ap Rhys

The Demography of Llanfechell 1851 & 1901

Llanfechell Cemetery

William Bulkeley and the poor of Llanfechell

Maureen’s Family Tree

Llanfechell in the early 19th Century

About us

The Society was founded in 2007 following the launch of The Rev. Emlyn Richards book ‘Bywyd Gwr Bonheddig’ about William Bulkely. William Bulkely was a native of Llanfechell who kept diaries for the period 1734-1760. The volumes of these diaries which have survived are now kept at Bangor University, and it was decided locally that this record of the history of Llanfechell and the area in that period were invaluable and that the maximum use be made of them. The diaries can be accessed through the website.

As well as work based on the diaries, local historians were inspired to research other aspects of the history of Llanfechell and it’s people, and the Society is going from strength to strength.

The Society meets on the second Thursday every other month, and an annual programme of topics is published which is available on the website.

When the Society was established, it was decided to set up the website as a record of the work which is presented at the meetings, and a considerable body of information is now available in Welsh and English.

Also, a book of the content of the website was published, and around one hundred copies of the Welsh and the English versions have been sold to date.